you need to know
BSFSRY 2020 Summer Run Information
Join us for our 2020 Summer Train, a 3 hour round trip adventure on the historic Kentucky & Tennessee Railway line for an exciting return to Barthell Coal Camp
The Stearns Company’s first load of coal was produced in 1903 at Barthell Coal Camp, paving the way to Stearns earning the moniker “Empire of the South.” Painstakingly restored by the Koger Family , Barthell hospitably opens the doors to 1910 and Edwardian life in the foothills of the Cumberland Plateau, the southernmost portion of the Appalachians. Follow along with breathtaking views of the Daniel Boone National Forest and the Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area, enjoy wide open vistas, roaring rivers, and the history and charm of the American South. Additional Barthell tours can be added to this adventure, but are limited in number. Please see additional ticket products for guided tours of Mine 1 and the town of Barthell.
Coal Miner's Lunch
Add this lunch to your trip to keep those hunger pains subsided while imagining what it was like to be here over 100 years ago mining coal.
Barthell Coal Camp Tour
Explore the town of Barthell and Mine 1. Take a guided journey back in time! You can add the tour package to your train tickets.
Please keep in mind the following items:
- All departures are according to Eastern Time Zone.
- We are running our open-air trains at 50% capacity for your health and safety.
- We are providing enhanced sanitization and cleaning to each train car and depot.
- Small lunch size coolers allowed on the train for regular trips.
- Restrooms are available on the train. For a less bumpy restroom experience, consider using our facilities at the Stearns Depot, or at Barthel Coal Mining Camp.
- Pets on leash are allowed. (Regular trips only.)
- Trains operate rain or shine, so please dress accordingly for the weather.
- VISA and MasterCard are accepted.
- The train features both open & enclosed excursion cars.
- Picnic tables are available at the Stearns Depot as well as at the Barthel Coal Mining Camp.
- Concessions: plan ahead by purchasing the popular Coal Miner’s Lunch from us at the ticket office, picking up a snack at either of our concessionaires, or by bringing food with you.
- The train is handicap accessible. If you need extra assistance, we are happy to help with advance notice.
- We are sorry, but no personal checks are accepted.
- You can add an additional Barthell Coal Camp Tour to your ticket prices. You will get a guided tour of Mine 1 and the town of Barthell.
Here at Big South Fork Scenic Railway, we’ve got a heaping helping of southern hospitality just waiting for you- The Coal Miner’s Lunch! For just $12, you get a handmade deli sandwich, chips, drink, and a dessert!
Make sure you ask about lunch when you order your tickets!
Located in the Depot!
We are a veteran owned and operated restaurant located in historic downtown Stearns, Kentucky. We are driven to provide our guests with an exceptional experience and value by using high quality ingredients, many sources from the local region, and by providing superb service on a personal level.
Live music and special performances are coming soon!
We LOVE groups! Here at the Big South Fork Scenic Railway, we believe that bigger is better, so pack up the school bus, church van, or RV, and get on the train! We have attractive group rates starting at twenty passengers, ranging all the way up to three hundred- so get in touch today!
- Chartered trains- have an extra-large group? We offer non-scheduled scenic train trips for groups of 100 or more.
- Meeting space- ideal for off-sites, breakout sessions, or team building.
- Catering capabilities- enjoy lunch on the train, or arrange with our on-site restaurant staff to cater other meals once you’re done with your ride.
Our physical address is:
We’re closer than you think! Interested in a day trip? Great for a weekend getaway! McCreary County is nestled in the heart of the Cumberland Plateau, and is Kentucky’s Gateway to the Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area. We’re only 30 minutes from the Lake Cumberland/Burnside area, so if you’re visiting the lake, come see us!
Give yourself some time to tour the downtown area of Stearns while you’re here! The Museum is just one block from the train depot and well worth a visit. Check out our local shops and vendors for a piece of Appalachia to take home with you.
FROM CINCINNATI, OH: Driving time is 3½ hours. Follow I-75 south then follow directions from Lexington.
FROM LEXINGTON, KY: Driving time is 2½ hours. Take I-75 south to exit 62 (Renfro Valley), then follow RT 461 south until it intersects RT 80. Take RT 80 west for approximately 6 miles. Turn left onto RT 914 (Somerset Bypass) and follow it until it ends at US 27. Turn left onto US 27 and follow it south for 30 miles until you get to the traffic light at the intersection of RT 92 west, just south of Whitley City, KY. Turn right onto RT 92, travel 1 mile, cross the bridge over the Norfolk Southern and K & T Railroads and the Stearns historic district and depot will be on your right.
FROM SOMERSET, KY: Driving time is 1 hour. Take US 27 south and follow for 30 miles until you get to the traffic light at the intersection of RT 92 west, just south of Whitley City, KY. Turn right onto RT 92, travel 1 mile, cross the bridge over the Norfolk Southern and K & T Railroads and the Stearns historic district and depot will be on your right.
FROM CUMBERLAND FALLS, KY: Driving time is 45 minutes. Take RT 90 west until it junctions with US 27. Turn left following US 27 south for 10 miles to the the traffic light at the intersection of RT 92 west, just south of Whitley City, KY. Turn right onto RT 92, travel 1 mile, cross the bridge over the Norfolk Southern and K & T Railroads and the Stearns historic district and depot will be on your right.
FROM KNOXVILLE, TN: Driving time is 1½ hours. Take I-75 north to exit #141 (Oneida/Huntsville). Take RT 63 west to the junction with US 27. Take US 27 north crossing over the Kentucky state line. Turn left at the traffic light at the intersection onto RT 92 west, travel 1 mile, cross the bridge over the Norfolk Southern and K & T Railroads and the Stearns historic district and depot will be on your right.
Distance To Nearby Major Cities (Miles)
|Bowling Green, KY||140|